History

Glorious Past...

Mahant Darshan Das Mahila Mahavidyalaya, Muzaffarpur is a Constituent Unit of B. R. A. Bihar University, Muzaffarpur, imparting Under-Graduate and Post-Graduate teaching in the Faculty of Arts, Science and Commerce. It is appoved by the University Grants Commission, New Delhi under section 2(f) of the U. G. C. Act, 1956.

Mahant Darshan Das Mahila Mahavidyalaya Muzaffarpur is a premier Constituent College, imparting Undergraduate and Post graduate teaching in Arts, Science and Commerce. The College was established on 15th August, 1946.

Established on 15th August, 1946, the institution has been an alma mater for numerous young, progressive and dynamic women. It was on 25th July, 1946, that a group of nationalists, educationists and social thinkers like Rai Bahadur Shri Narayan Mahatha, Rai Bahadur Uma Shanker Pd., Shri Harisadan Bhaduri, great educationist Dr. J. K. Sarkar, Rai Bahadur Veereshwar Chatterjee, Shri Atulanand Sen and Shri Mahesh Pd. Singh, gathered in the premises of Chapman Girls High School,Muzaffarpur and laid an informal base to the establishment of this institution. Mahant Darshan Das , a progressive thinker in the field of women education was invited to that meeting. Perhaps, he was also inspired by the ideas of the nobel laureate Rabindra Nath Tagore. 'O Lord, why have you not given women the right to conquer her destiny, why does she have to wait head bowed by the road side waiting with tired patience hoping for the miracle in the morrow'.

His dream came true as the first foundation stone of this institution was laid down with the help of a sum of Rs. one lac donated by him. A governing body was constituted by Shri Mahesh Prasad Singh, Rai Bahadur Shri Narayan Mahatha, Shri Harisadan Bhaduri, Rai Bahadur Shri Shyamnandan Sahay, C.I.E, Shri Ramnaumi Prasad, advocate, Md. Badrul Hasan, Dr. J. K. Sarkar, M.L.A, Prof. Atulanand Sen .The governing body took women's education as a mission and soon the journey of this college started with just a few students.

Dr. J.K. Sarkar took charge as the first Principal. He was a man of great endeavour and determination and soon the institution started to flourish. He was succeeded by Shri Atulanand Sen. The mission for female education finally started taking shape and Mrs. Lavanya Prabha Ghosh took charge as the first female Principal of the college. She was a woman of talent and dynamism and the institution started to climb the unforeseen ladder of success. The number of students increased enormously and the college received its first grant from the government as a constituent unit on 01.04.1962.

The institution witnessed a golden period under the simple, soft spoken, efficient administrator Dr. Lalita Sinha, who took charge as the Principal on 9 th Nov, 1956. She nurtured the institution at the early stage and tried her best to maintain educational environment. An epitome of punctuality, sincerity and honesty, she tried her level best to develop a sincere work culture on the campus which paved the way to achieve success in every field. The institution was blessed with a series of hardworking and able Principals like Dr. Meera Sen Gupta, Dr. Sunity Pandey, Dr. Shashi Lekha Mishra, Dr. Munni Singh, Dr. Pramila Singh.